Welcome to St. George's Anglican Church. We are located in the village of Newcastle Ontario at 250 Mill Street South.
Anglicans began worshipping in the Newcastle area in the early 1800's. As the population grew and shifted into towns and villages, a need for a more centralized place of worship was needed. From its present location, St. George's has truly fulfilled this need since the cornerstone was laid, July 2, 1857. St. George's is a fine example .of classic Gothic church architecture with a hint of English country parish charm. Noted Scottish architect, William Hay's design was patterned from a church near Leeds, England, the old parish church of Frederick Farncomb, a member of the building committee and an avid supporter of the new church. When the design was accepted and the building commenced, money was raised from far and near. Even the Lord Mayor of London England, Mr. Farncomb's uncle contributed generously to the building fund. Although the church was not consecrated until July 7, 1882, worship services began in 1859. In the late 1890's as the population of the are area expanded the need for a Sunday School was met by building a parish hall west of the church with fund raised mainly by the women of St. George’s. The last structural renovation of the church took place in the early 1900's. The reredos (around the altar), a vestry, brick boundary walls, sidewalks, and the two beautiful Tiffany of New York windows at each end of the church, given in memory of Olive Wi1mot Sandford, were added The present congregation at St. George's has embarked on a project to "connect" the church with the church hall to the west. St. George's is truly a tribute, not only to its builders, but to the many men and women who through the years gave their time and devotion to preserve St. George's as a place of beauty and rest for prayer and worship both today and for the years to come. St. George's is proud of its past, but lives for the future.